You’ll need your…
- jump rope
- sunblock (!)
Running or walking in sand can require up to 3 times the effort as running or walking on a flat surface, as your body has to put more energy toward maintaining balance and creating momentum. If you live near a beach, lake, or shoreline, take your gym set to the sand for a harder workout. The best part? You won’t even need shoes (you barely even need clothes, if we’re being totally honest).
The sand is a great place to challenge yourself with jumping exercises. Try setting yourself up with a timer on your phone and doing a Tabata–you’ll do each move for 45 seconds and take a 15 second break. Complete 3 sets for a 30 minute HIIT workout.
Here’s our current favorite workout routine for a high intensity, high heart rate, full body burn —
- 1. Jump ropes (don’t have a rope? not a problem. Just jump as if you did)
- 2. Push ups (try switching from wide to triceps push ups)
- 3. Long jumps (squat low and jump as far as you can forward, landing in a low squat. Make sure those knees don’t dip in!)
- 4. Sit up toe taps (lay on your back with your legs straight up in the air. Reach to touch your toes)
- 5. Jump burpees (that means allllll the way down stomach to the sand and all the way up to a jump)
- 6. Squats (try switching from sumo squats to narrow squats each set to fire up different parts of your glutes)
- 7. Jump lunges (get into a lunge position and jump to switch legs. When you wear out switch to lunge pulses or regular lunges)
- 8. Quick feet (Like in football- bend your knees and get low then run as fast as you can in place on your toes. Pump your arms like you’re running too!)
- 9. Arm circles (catch your breath but don’t stop moving. Stand straight, engage your core, shoulders back and down, and start arm circles to burn out those shoulders)
- 10. Crab walks (try keeping your butt off the ground by engaging your glutes and your core to lift up)
This one always gets us. Let us know how you did in the comments below. We’ll see you next week for one more summer workout!